Off-campus: Exploring Investment Opportunities with China in the Innovation Sectors and How Hong Kong Can Help
Tuesday, June 27, 2017, 4:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Chinese overseas investment has risen exponentially since the mid-2000s and has also become much more diversified both in terms of targeted industries (from natural resources to other sectors such as technology) and of capital origins (from mainly SOEs to private capital). The new momentum behind Chinese investment in developed economies is spurred by a growth model shift in China that is pushing Chinese firms to upgrade their technology, pursue higher levels of the value chain, and augment managerial skills and staffing to remain globally competitive. What are the implications of these investments for the National Capital Region and our vibrant innovation cluster? What opportunities and challenges do they present for both the public and private sectors here in Ottawa? How can Canadian governments and industries be better prepared to realize benefits from the investment flow from China?
On June 27, 2017, HKCBA Ottawa in partnership with Grafoid Inc. will host a Seminar on Chinese Investment in Canada’s Innovation Sectors and How Hong Kong Can Help to facilitate a timely discussion by policy makers, industry leaders and venture capitalists on key emerging topics including:
• The changing landscape of Chinese outward investment and the role of Hong Kong in facilitating Chinese investment
• The general trends and sectoral breakdown of Chinese investment in Canada and how Canada is being promoted
• Successful investment projects in the National Capital Region and the secrets to their success
• Services and organizations available in the National Capital Region to facilitate and support these investments
Presented by the Hong Kong Canada Business Association (HKCBA) Ottawa Chapter partnering with Grafoid Inc.
4:00 – 4:30 Registration and Networking
4:30 – 4:40 Welcome and the Role of Hong Kong as a facilitator of outward Chinese Investment
-- Marvin Hough, HKCBA Ottawa President (confirmed)
4:40 – 4:55 The Changing Landscape of Chinese Outward Investment and the interests of Chinese Investors
-- Andre Philippe Chenail, Director, Quebec Chapter CCBC (confirmed)
4:55 – 5:10 General Trends in Chinese investment in Canada and their impact
-- Sarah Taylor, Director General, Global Affairs Canada (confirmed)
5:10 – 5:15 James Nguyen, Chief Investment Officer, Grafoid Inc. (confirmed)
5:15 – 5:45 Panel 1:
Investment opportunities from China - company cases and investors insights
Moderator: Sophie Chen, Market Director, Invest Ottawa (confirmed)
- James Nguyen, Chief Investment Officer, Grafoid Inc. (confirmed);
- Marc Zhu, President, Greenbank Investments Ltd.(confirmed)
- Qinglin Zhang, President, Aplas Ltd. (TBC)
- David Adderley, Partner, Celtic House (TBC)
5:45 – 6:15 Panel 2:
Discussion on Services for Chinese Investment in the National Capital Region
Moderator: James Nguyen, Chief Investment Officer, Grafoid Inc. (confirmed)
- Andre Philippe Chenail, Director, Quebec Chapter CCBC (confirmed)
- Sophie Chen, Market Director, Invest Ottawa (confirmed)
- Marti Falcone, Regional Manager Asia, Export Development Canada (EDC) ?confirmed?
- Alexandre Belisle, Director Corporate Banking, HSBC Bank Canada (TBC)
6:15 – 6:30 Q & A Session for Panel 1 and 2
6:30 – 6:35 Wrap-up and Thanks - Marvin Hough, HKCBA Ottawa President
6:35 – 7:30 Reception and Networking
- Tuesday, June 27, 2017
- 4:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Marshes Club - Buckthorne Room
320 Terry Fox Dr.
Kanata ON K2K 3L1
View on Google Maps
For more information, you may consult the event web page: https://hkcba-ottawa.silkstart.com/events/592af5fd893aaa02d863bd35